(redirected from Lottery ticket)
Select English Members, English Collections, Special Courses login. Daily English 192 - Winning the Lottery Select English Member and want to get this complete lesson? Nature bingo sheet. Kevin from Wenatchee $75,000; Rosetta from Shoreline $10,000; Sean from Redmond $10,000; Vickie from Everett $10,000; More Winners.
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. A contest in which tokens are distributed or sold, the winning token or tokens being secretly predetermined or ultimately selected in a random drawing.
2. A selection made by lot from a number of applicants or competitors: The state uses a lottery to assign spaces in the campground.
3. An activity or event regarded as having an outcome depending on fate: They considered combat duty a lottery.
[French loterie, probably from Dutch loterije, from Middle Dutch, from lot, lot.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Games, other than specified) a method of raising money by selling numbered tickets and giving a proportion of the money raised to holders of numbers drawn at random
2. (Games, other than specified) a similar method of raising money in which players select a small group of numbers out of a larger group printed on a ticket. If a player's selection matches some or all of the numbers drawn at random the player wins a proportion of the prize fund
English Lottery Movie
3. an activity or endeavour the success of which is regarded as a matter of fate or luck
[C16: from Old French loterie, from Middle Dutch loterije. See lot]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
lot•ter•y (ˈlɒt ə ri) n., pl. -ter•ies.
1. a gambling game or method of raising money in which a large number of tickets are sold and a drawing is held for prizes.
3. any happening or process that is or appears to be determined by chance: Life is a lottery.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
|Noun||1.||lottery - something that is regarded as a chance event; 'the election was just a lottery to them'|
chance event, fortuity, accident, stroke - anything that happens suddenly or by chance without an apparent cause; 'winning the lottery was a happy accident'; 'the pregnancy was a stroke of bad luck'; 'it was due to an accident or fortuity'
|2.||lottery - players buy (or are given) chances and prizes are distributed by casting lots|
tombola - a lottery in which tickets are drawn from a revolving drum
gambling game, game of chance - a game that involves gambling
lucky dip - a game in which prizes (e.g., candies or coins) are concealed in a container and for a small sum a player can draw one out at random
numbers game, numbers pool, numbers racket, numbers - an illegal daily lottery
raffle - a lottery in which the prizes are goods rather than money
sweepstakes - a lottery in which the prize consists of the money paid by the participants
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1.raffle, draw, lotto(Brit., N.Z., & S. African), sweepstakethe national lottery
2.gamble, chance, risk, venture, hazard, toss-up(informal)Which judges are assigned to a case is always a bit of a lottery.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
(= game) → loterief
to win the lottery → gagner à la loterie
(dependent on luck) to be a lottery → être une loterie
Marriage is a lottery → Le mariageest une loterie.
Finding a parking space can be a bit of a lottery
BUTOn ne sait jamais si on va trouver une place pour se garer.
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Lotterief; life is a lottery → das Leben ist ein Glücksspiel; lottery ticket → Lotterielosnt; (for Lotto) → Tippscheininf, → Tippzettelinf
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
) – plural ˈlotteries – noun
Uk Lottery Numbers
the sharing out of money or prizes won by chance, through drawing lots. They held a public lottery in aid of charity. lotery يانصيب лотария loteria loterie die Lotterie lotteri λαχειοφόρος αγορά lotería loterii بخت آزمایی lotto loterieלוטו लाटरी lutrija lottó undian happdrætti lotteria くじ 복권 loterija loterija loteri loterij lotteri, utlodningloteria لاترى lotaria loterie лотерея lotéria loterija lutrija lotteri สลากกินแบ่ง piyango 抽獎 лотерея قمار بازی xổ số 彩券，抽彩给奖法
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
→ يَانَصِيبٌ loterie lotteriLotterieλοταρίαlotería arpajaisetloterie lutrijalotteria 宝くじ 복권
English Lottery Results Wednesdayloterij
Lottery Results Uklotteriloterialotaria, loteriaлотерея lotteri สลากกินแบ่งpiyango sổ xố六合彩
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
Want to thank TFD for its existence? Tell a friend about us, add a link to this page, or visit the webmaster's page for free fun content.
English Lottery Results
Link to this page: